Music has become such an integral part of our lives as individuals that we all want a high-quality sound experience and even more so when we attend events.
Who intends to go to a band event that you either can’t hear the instruments clear or the singer sounds distorted? Who wants to participate in a DJ event that the bass comes off as a little under the bar? Worst of all who wants to be the DJ or band hosting such an event.
Thankfully there’s a way to save yourself some embarrassment and while we are at it blow your audience away.
Yamaha is passionate about being at the forefront of innovation in not only the design of their powered speakers but also for their durability, portability, power and resolution just to name a few.
They have done quite well for themselves and for others who have experienced the embarrassment of failed PA systems by introducing the powered speaker lines below.
1. DBR Series
These 10”, 12” and 15” models are guaranteed to satisfy your music needs and go above and beyond what you expect for speakers of this calibre.
They have a range of features to ensure your DJ-ing, your live performance, your speech at a wedding doesn’t encounter any hiccups. Well only in the sound department that is.
This line contains the following features:
- High-frequency 1000W class-D amplifiers
- Custom-designed transducers
- Rugged portable cabinets
- Smart enclosure designs for monitoring
- Easy to use on-board two-channel mixers
- Rigging points for installation purposes
- Functional speaker covers
The DBR10 with the 10” speaker is the smallest in this series but this doesn’t affect the sound quality, but it improves on portability.
The DBR12 with the 12” DJ speakers is in this line’s mid-range and is more flexible in its placement options as it can feature front of house, stage side or monitoring positions.
The DBR15 with the 15” speaker is an ideal input in this range for front of house placement to give your audience that clear sound.
2. DXR Series
These ooze raw power as they are a thunderous boom line consisting of four full-range models for various sound applications and placement.
They can feature anywhere from the front of the house, monitoring positions, amplification, and other endless possibilities.
They too have a range of similar features as with any other line. These include:
- Ultra-precise 48DSP processing for high definition sound
- Intelligent dynamic control for consistent clarity at any output level
- Extensive DSP protection functions for maximum output
- High-efficiency 1100W class-D amplifiers
- Intelligent onboard three-channel mixer
- Durable, compact ABS enclosures
- Symmetrical chassis designs for mirror mode floor monitoring
- Dual-angle pole mount sockets
- Rigging points for standard eye-bolts and optional U-brackets
This line consists of the DRX8, DRX10, DRX12, DRX15. Do you see a pattern here? That’s right the name directly correlates to the speaker size on the actual unit. The DRX8 at 8”, the DRX10 at 10” and so forth.
3. DSR Series
These have some rather large amplifiers which seem to necessitate some rather bigger speaker sizes than other series on this list. Some believe that the bigger, the better so hold your horses; I’ve got some big ones right here for you.
They also feature some pretty amazing features, so it’s not just brawn. These include:
- Integral digital tuning
- Intelligent dynamic control
- Extensive DSP protection
- Integral digital tuning
- FIR-X tuning
- High performance digital signal processor and 24-bit discrete AD and DA converters
- Intelligent dynamic control
- 1500w high power, high sound quality class-D amplifiers
- Full-resonance switching-mode power supply with PFC
- High-efficiency natural convection heat sink and internal structure
- 3-way fail-safe protection
- Switchable white front LED
- Superior electronic, acoustic and mechanical technologies for optimum performance
- Premium-grade custom designed transducers
- Exclusive wide dispersion CD waveguide horn
The models in this series include the DSR112, DSR115, DSR118 and lastly the DSR215. You will probably notice the naming for this series is different from the previous series.
The extra addition in the names of the units in this series is simply an indication of the number of speakers in each unit.
The DSR112 contains one 12” speaker with the DSR115 containing one 15” speaker and the DSR118 containing one 18” speaker. The DSR215 is the only one of the Yamaha powered speaker unit with two speakers all 15” hence the name.
4. MS Series
The only current model in this series is the Yamaha MSR100.
This unit features a 100-watt power amplifier with an 8” woofer and a 1” pure titanium diaphragm compression driver.
This unit is a relatively small unit, and its main advantage is its flexibility in placement options. This flexibility in placement is derived from its relatively lightweight nature.
There were initially other units in this line with the MSR250, MSR400 and MSR800 units being discontinued by the manufacturer.
5. DXS Series
The Yamaha series of powered subwoofers.
A little different from all the other speakers in the Yamaha lineup in orientation. These are compact speaker units which are a valuable addition to any of the other units provided in the list above to provide a richer sound experience.
They can be paired with most of the units stated above, and they won’t disappoint.
The DXS18 being the most impressive of the lineup with the 18” subwoofer speaker is definitely worth the price with the 136dB maximum output topping other speakers in most of the series mentioned above.
This lineup is also unique in that the products here are made with a wooden casing.
Features on this series include:
- 950W class-D high-efficiency amplifier minimum
- Powerful D-XSUB processing
- Normal, boost and extended LF modes
- Reduced distortion
Other units in this line up are the DXS12 and the DXS15.
The Yamaha powered speakers line is a professional line of speakers that will work best for music professionals like DJs and bands. If you also happen to host some events such as pool parties or even seminars that require someone making a presentation or a speech you should also invest in something high-tech, durable and reliable to ensure that they are heard. That being said it doesn’t mean that they are exclusive to this group only. If you feel like you deserve to splurge on some high-quality speaker units, you should invest in any one of the ones stated above.